BPI MS Data Privacy Statement
Maintaining your privacy is an important part of the products and services that we provide. This Privacy Statement, hereafter referred to as “Statement”, explains how we collect, protect, use, and share information when you access our websites and/or apply for and avail of our products and services.
This Statement outlines the general practices of the Bank of the Philippine Islands and Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Corporation (“BPI/MS” or “the Company”) in relation to our websites, our e-commerce and third party payment facility provider such as the issuer of credit cards and other related websites. This Statement also covers the privacy practices for clients who apply for and/or obtain services of non-life insurance products such as Fire Insurance, Home Care Advantage Insurance, Business Advantage Insurance, Motor Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, Travel Care Insurance, Marine Insurance, Liability Insurance, Engineering Insurance, Bonds and other services that the Company offers.
Our Privacy Practices
The privacy practices described in this Statement are primarily intended for individuals in the Philippines and are designed to comply with the Data Privacy Act of 2012 (R.A. 10173) and its implementing rules and regulations. When accessing our websites and/or availing of our services from outside the Philippines, you acknowledge and agree that your information may be transferred to and processed in the Philippines following legal and regulatory standards for data protection that may differ from your current or home jurisdictions.
What We May Collect From You
When you apply for or avail of any product or service that BPI/MS offers or when you interact with our employees, authorized representatives, agents and service providers, we collect your personal information so that we may provide valuable and useful content and services and to offer you additional products, services that we believe you might find interesting or useful. Personal information is any data that can be used to identify a person. This may include, among others:
- your name and personal particulars such as contact details, address, birthdate, education;
- specimen signatures;
- government ID details;
- financial information (such as income, expenses, balances, investments, tax, insurance, financial and transaction history, income, etc);
- employment details;
- business interests and assets;
- images via CCTV and other similar recording devices and processes which may be observed when visiting our offices and/or using our other facilities;
- voice recordings of our conversations with you.
We may, as and when necessary, seek to verify or augment these information with third-party entities including government regulators, quasi-judicial bodies, supervisory bodies, tax authorities or courts of competent jurisdiction and, in the process, gain additional information about you.
In the course of availing our products and services, we also collect information about your transactions and dealings which include your account activities, movements and interactions with third parties such as merchants and utility companies.
We may also collect, use and keep your personal opinions or comments made known to us via feedback or responses to surveys or any other interaction that you had with our employees, authorized representatives, agents and service providers.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information collected to deliver and provide the products and services that you have availed to:
- approve, facilitate, administer and process applications and transactions;
- respond to queries, requests and complaints and improve how we interact with you;
- send you detailed product description, coverages, benefits, terms, conditions, warranties, clauses, exclusion and limitation and other such necessary documents;
- conduct studies and researches for the purpose of reviewing, developing and improving our products and services;
- perform profile analysis, behavioral modeling and analytics to understand needs, preferences and market trends to be able to improve and recommend suitable products and services;
- to reach out to you regarding products and services information, including offers, promotions, discounts, rewards; and for personalizing your experience with our various touchpoints such as branches, call center, telemarketing, email, messaging and other channels;
- determine the effectiveness of our marketing efforts and initiatives;
- perform certain protective safeguards against improper use or abuse of our products and services including fraud prevention;
- comply with our operational, audit, administrative, credit and risk management processes, policies and procedures, the terms and conditions governing our products, services, facilities and channels, the Insurance Commission rules and regulations, legal and regulatory requirements of government regulators such as the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas & Securities and Exchange Commission, quasi-judicial bodies, supervisory bodies, tax authorities or courts of competent jurisdiction, as to the same may be amended or supplemental from time to time.
- To comply with applicable laws of the Philippines and those of other jurisdictions including but not limited to the United States Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), the laws on the prevention of money laundering including the provisions of Republic Act No. 9160 (Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001, as amended (AMLA) and the implementation of know your customer and sanction screening checks;
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements such as submission of data to the Land Transportation Office, credit bureaus, credit information companies, the Credit Information Corporation (CIC) (pursuant to RA No. 9510 and its implementing rules and regulations) responding to court orders and other instructions and requests from any local or foreign authorities including regulatory, governmental, tax and law enforcement authorities or other similar authorities;
- perform such other activities permitted by law or with your consent.
How We May Share Your Information
We may share your personal information with our subsidiaries, affiliates and third parties, under an obligation of confidentiality.
- We may share personal information with various units within BPI in order to better understand the way you use our products and services. This will allow us to improve our services and offer you opportunities to obtain such other useful products and services that may deliver greater value to you.
- We may share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to likewise offer you additional products and services that we believe you might find interesting or useful.
- We may share with third parties that we engaged to support us in delivering our services to you. These may involve anonymous or aggregated information to help improve our products, services, and content.
- We may also engage third parties to help us operate our business. These include support in:
- complying with legal requirements such as court orders;
- addressing fraud, security or technical issues, to respond to an emergency or otherwise to protect the rights, property or security of our customers or third parties;
- to carry out all other purposes set out above.
We may transfer, store, and/or process your personal data outside the Philippines. In doing so, we will comply with the Data Privacy Act and its implementing rules and regulations.
We wish to assure you that we do not, and will not, sell personal data to any third parties. All our engagements with third parties shall be fully compliant with our obligation of confidentiality imposed on us under the applicable agreements and/or terms and conditions or any applicable laws that govern our relationship with you.
How We Protect Your Information
We fully recognize the value of your personal information particularly as it may include sensitive personal information such as your gender, government-issued IDs, etc. Appropriately, we strive to maintain the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal information by employing physical, technological and procedural safeguards. We train our employees to properly handle your information. Whenever we engage other companies to provide services for us, we require them to protect personal information aligned with our own security standards.
How Long Do We Keep Your Information
Your personal information shall be retained for as long as the purpose for which it was collected, and such other purposes that you may have consented to from time to time, remains in effect until such time as it is no longer required nor necessary to keep your information for any other legal, regulatory or business purposes.
You Have Rights
In respecting your rights to privacy, you may opt to tell us:
- not to send you marketing materials via email;
- not to share your information with our subsidiaries and affiliates or with other companies that we have business with provided that such information is not critical nor required by applicable laws and regulations in maintaining the services that you have availed with us;
- to provide you with information that we currently have about you subject to restrictions applied to us as a bank and a company operating in the Philippines by certain laws and regulations;
- to update your information;
- about your other concerns relating to how we collect, use, share, protect or dispose your information.
We may charge a fee for processing your request/s for access and/or update. Such a fee depends on the nature and complexity of your request. Information on the processing fee will be made available to you prior to making the request.
How To Contact Us
For any queries, clarifications or requests on any aspect of this Statement, the exercise of your rights pertaining to your personal information or to provide any feedback that you may have about our processing of personal information, please visit any of our branches or get in touch with our Contact Center via our 24-hour hotline at (02) 8840-9000. You may also email us at [email protected] which is manned during business hours.
You may also write to our Data Privacy Officer at:
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
BPI/MS Insurance Corporation
18TH Floor BPI Philam Life Building
Makati City 1209
Telephone Number: (02) 8840-9700
Changes to Our Privacy Statement
We may modify or amend this Privacy Statement from time to time to keep up with any changes in relevant laws and regulations applicable to us or how we collect, use, protect, store, share or dispose of your personal information. Any relevant updates will be posted on the BPI/MS website.
National Privacy Commission – Certificate of Registration
*Click the image to view the PDF version.